So, I have a new calling – yay me! After only being in YW for 3
months or so, I was released during a presidency shake up, only to be
called a couple of weeks later as the new Primary Chorister.
I'm delighted to have this new calling. The week after I'd been
released I happened to be talking to a group of friends from church –
one of them happening to be one of the ward clerks. I mentioned that
of all of the callings in the ward up for grabs at the moment, Primary
Chorister would be my choice. I can't help but to wonder if he told
anybody I'd said this because a week later, I got the call to be the
new Primary Chorister. That goes in my "things that make you go
hmmmmm" file.
At any rate, since I was called/sustained on the 18th of September and
the Primary Program was scheduled for the 25th, it was determined that
the previous Chorister would go ahead and finish out the program and I
didn't have to do anything until the next regular week of Primary.
Since the week following the program is General Conference, I still
haven't actually led the music for the kids yet.
However, I've been quite busy!
The first week, Blaine and I (he's the new CTR 6/7 teacher, class of
four very rowdy boys needed a firm hand) stayed in the chapel after
Sac. Mtg. to see if they needed a hand with anything, and it was good
that we did. The new Primary President is the former Sunbeam teacher,
and while they called replacement teachers, neither of them stayed to
help. So, since I knew all three kids from my year in the nursery, I
sat with them to do some crowd control. The sub for Blaine's new
class did show up, but he was sitting on the end of the row instead of
the middle for some unknown reason and just could not control the
kids. So, Blaine came up and got to know his new boys by putting the
smack down ;) Actually he did a great job.
I also helped out getting the room ready where the kids did a coloring
activity after they were done with their parts on the second
run-through.
The next Sunday was the day of the program. Blaine had been up until
six that morning on a conference call and couldn't make it to church,
so I went by myself. I didn't have to worry about who to sit with,
because I'd already promised the Primary that I'd sit with Blaine's
class to help corral the boys and also during choir practice before
church, I was asked to lead the opening and sacrament hymns. So, I
was the only person who got to sit on the stand the whole meeting.
Luckily I'd done my hair and makeup, so it was ok
The songs were easy, but the boys tried my patience. Also, their sub
didn't show up like he'd promised, so I had to help them with their
lines, and say my own line that I was reading for the first time.
Eek! It all worked out fine, and I was even able to keep the rowdiest
boy under control … at least as much as you could see from the
congregation. He's just a bundle of energy and physically unable to
sit still for more than a couple of minutes at a time. I was able to
distract him with little hands in lap games – like the hand stacking
game, and was able to keep him still and in his seat.
Tomorrow night I'm headed over to the new 1st counselor's house –
she's also the former chorister. We're going to… umm… not sure
actually, but I believe we'll be going over plans for what music plans
we're doing for the next few months to a year.
Oh, I promised arguing…
So, I joined a Yahoo group for primary choristers. They all seemed
like nice people, but I managed to set them off anyway. See, there's
a genre of books out there that are pre-made helps for choristers to
help children learn songs. I asked if anyone had used a specific
brand, and if they'd been helpful. I'd used some of the books from
that brand, but they're more geared towards props instead of teaching
songs. I like the props books, and wanted to know if anyone liked the
song teaching books.
You'd think I asked if it was ok to throw a keg party on Temple
Square. Sheesh!
Granted, I did learn some interesting things, e.g. that the church has
asked that we only use church authorized materials in primary, also
that the church has asked that when showing a picture of the savior
and prophets that we only use non-cartoon pictures. I also learned
that the Gospel Art Kit is now available for download on the church
website. The pictures aren't good enough for a clear 8x10, but they'd
be ok from a distance, and are clear at 5x7, so they will be good for
posters and handouts and all sorts of things. Yay!
I also learned that people can be really snippy. Some lady implied
that if I used those books that I wasn't praying properly for my
group. Now, I can see if you only rely on these aids that certainly
is not ideal. However, when used in conjunction with other methods,
it's not as big a deal as they were making it.
For me (and this is subject to review by my presidency of course), I
plan on using the props from the book I've already gotten, but I will
make my own posters to help the kids learn songs. The props are more
for review, so I won't get to use them yet, but that's ok. They're
also good for fun songs that the kids already know, if I need to kill
some time.
I'm excited about my new calling!
No comments:
Post a Comment