Ok, I might as well get this question answered for good, since I get asked it all the time. "Where did you get the name 'Jaimilyn' from?"
I came up with this nickname way back when I was in college. About 10 years ago I think.
I was dating this guy named James. He lived at home with all but one of his other siblings. All of the children in the family except for the oldest had names that started with the letter "J". Somewhere i wrote in my journal all the kids' names because it was so fascinating to me - and they came up with some that I'd never heard before. Janessa and Jannalyn are two that I can remember.
One time he and I were joking around that if we were to get married, I'd need to get a new name, since his oldest brother was married to an Amy already, and besides I needed a J name to fit in with the rest of the clan. Later that day or week I was really really bored at work and decided to figure out a J name for myself.
Long story short, I mushed my first and middle names together (Amy Lynn), added a J to the beginning and tweaked the spelling in the middle. That was about the same time as I discovered the internet, and so I used it for a few screen names and pretty much use it as my online identity.
I suppose the funny part about it is I've kept the nickname far longer than I ever kept the boyfriend!
As a kid I always was sick of the name Amy and wanted to go by a different name, because there were so many other girls with my same name around. There were five Amys in one of my classes in Middle School. So, online where I get to pick my own name, I like to use the one I made up for myself since it's so unique, and my real name is anything but.
*PS I did not discover the Utah Baby Namer until months after I'd come up with the name. Although I just checked and the exact spelling is still not up there, although there are some similar ones.
3 comments:
You ought to find this former boyfriend and tell him how he's influenced your life in creating your alter ego existence. You don't use the name Jaimilyn for other purposes besides email and blogging do you? PS. There's a thing called Bloglet that you should figure out in terms of making it part of your blog so that people can subscribe instead of having to remember to check it to see if you've posted anything new.
I never signed up with bloglet before since I didn't think anyone was actually interested in what I had to say :)
However, since you asked nicely, I added the bloglet link.
(No, I'm not procrastinating my real job, really....)
When I was pregnant with my daughter we came up with two names. Well my Rebecca Dawn is now 17 yrs old but my second name choice was Amy Lynn! Just thought I would share that with you.
From a fellow member in Stuart Stake, FL.
Post a Comment